2 lbs. medium or large red potatoes (about 5 medium), cleaned and cut into large chunks, 1 1/2 to 2 inches
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup CVR Basil Infused Olive Oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Chopped fresh Basil for garnish
- Put the potatoes and 1 tsp. salt in a large saucepan or pot and fill with enough water to cover the potatoes by about 1 inch.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Lower the heat to a steady simmer, cover the pot partially, and cook until the potatoes are tender when tested with a fork about 15-20 minutes.
- Reserve some of the cooking water and then drain the potatoes.
- Dump them back into the pot and set over medium heat, dry the potatoes by shaking the pan and stirring until most of the moisture has steamed off, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat.
- Using the side of a large spoon, cut through the skins and flesh of the potatoes, reducing the chunks to a very coarse mash.
- Stir in the Basil infused Olive Oil and garlic.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of cooking water to loosen the mash if necessary.
- Stir in the cheese.
- Season to taste with sea salt and pepper.
- Garnish with fresh basil.
- Serve immediately.